Ataxia Symptoms, causes and treatment
Ataxia is loss of full control of body movements, which affect speech, movements of eye, ability to swallow, picking up objects and also controlled movements. People who suffer from ataxia have damage in part of brain which controls muscle coordination, the cerebellum. So here we talk about the Ataxia Symptoms. Ataxia causes are head injury, stroke, multiple sclerosis, alcohol abuse, tumor and also faulty gene. It may also sign of incoordination, which is related to infections. Every year 25 September is celebrated as International Ataxia Awareness Day.
Ataxia has two types such as Friedreich’s ataxia and spinocerebellar ataxia and also less known Ataxia type is Telangiectasia. Ataxia is mostly used to define loss of coordination in physiological process like optic ataxia and also ataxia respiration.
Most common Type of Ataxia
- Cerebellar ataxia: It is occur due to dysfunctions of cerebellum. Cerebellum is area in brain that involved in the assimilation of sensory perception, coordination and also motor control. Cerebellar ataxia may cause some neurological problem such as Floppiness, inability to perform rapid, loss harmonization between muscles, joints, organs and also impaired ability to manage speed of hand, eye and also arm, distance.
- Sensory Ataxia: Loss of proprioception can causes sensory ataxia. Proprioception is the relative position of neighboring parts of body sense. It is a common sense which point to whether the body is moving with needed effort. It is also sense at which point different body parts of body are located in relation to each other. Patient has heel striking hard as it tap ground with every step and also wobbly stomping gait.
- Vestibular Ataxia: Vestibular Ataxia affects vestibular system. In case of Sudden unilateral patient may have vertigo, vomiting and also nausea. And in the case of slow chronic bilateral, patient may have only unsteadiness, giddiness.
Most common cause of Ataxia
Ataxia occurs due to vitamin B12 deficiency. It also occurs due to neurological abnormalities. Deficiency of vitamin B12 can causes overlapping cerebellar and also sensory ataxia. Ataxia can also occur due to injury or another health condition.
Early Sing and Symptoms of ataxia
Ataxia Sign is vary depending on the severity and also Types of Ataxia. Ataxia symptoms can be emerging at any age. Below is Ataxia Symptoms, which you read to know about Ataxia.
Early Sign of ataxia
- Poor limb co-ordination
- Dysarthria – Slow and slurred speech which is complex to produce.
- Patient also have problem in controlling volume, rhythm and also pitch.
Other Ataxia symptoms you may appear
- Problem in vision
- Swallowing problem that can result in to choking or coughing
- Pes cavus – too much high arch foot
- Balancing problem
- Problem in hearing
- Nystagmus – involuntary rapid rhythmic recurrence eye movement. Those movement can be vertical, horizontal or circular
- Less apparent facial expressions
- Cold feet
- Tremors – body part can shake or tremble unintentionally
- Difficulty in walking
- Pes cavus
Telangiectasia Ataxia Symptoms
- Small veins appear around corner of eye, cheeks and ears
- Sexual and also physical development is generally delayed
Sign of Friedreich’s Ataxia
- Spine curves sideways
- Weaker heart muscle
Treatment of Ataxia
- Occupational therapy: It can be help patient to manage better around the house and also at work place. It contains home adaptations and wheelchair assessments.
- Speech therapy: It helps in the problem of coughing, swallowing speech and also choking.
- Orthopaedic care: This therapy is beneficial for curvature of spine.
- Physical therapy: It is beneficial to control strength and also better mobility.
Thank you for visit careinfo.in and for reading Ataxia Symptoms, treatment and cause article.