Kidney Cancer Treatment Options
Kidney cancer is illness in which kidney calls become cancerous and grow out of control and turn into tumor. Kidney cancer is also known as renal cancer. Most of cancer first appears in lining of tiny tubes in kidney. This type of cancer is known as renal cell carcinoma. It is good that this cancer is found before they spread to distant organs. Kidney cancer is generally developed in people over age of 60 and also some it affect to younger people. Most common symptom of kidney cancer is blood in urine and advanced cancer has less chance which treatment can be curative. But treatment of kidney cancer can reduce the progress of cancer. Kidney Cancer Treatment depends on the size and spread of cancer.
Treatment for kidney cancer is very important for healthy recovery from this cancer. Different types of Renal Cell Cancer Treatment are surgery, Radiation therapy, Chemotherapy, Targeted therapy, Biologic therapy etc. From that surgery is the most common treatment of kidney cancer and it is use to remove cancer cells.
There is different Option for Kidney cancer treatment are available, which are listed below.
- Radiation therapy
- Biologic therapy
- Targeted therapy
- Supportive care
- Ablation therapy
- Biologic therapy
- Arterial embolisation
Types of Treatment for Kidney Cancer: Below we provide the details about Most Popular Kidney Cancer Treatment.
It is main kidney cancer treatment, which has not spread outside kidney. If your cancer cell is small, then surgeon basically removes part of kidney, which contain tumor. But surgery will also depend on the size if cancer and sometimes whole kidney can be removed. This is done by using keyhole surgery. There are different types surgeries for kidney cancer.
- Radical nephrectomy: It is surgery in which remove tumor or whole kidney or surrounding tissue. If close to tissue and nearby lymph nodes are affected by the disease then a radical nephrectomy and lymph node dissection is used.
- Laparoscopic and robotic surgery: In this surgery surgeon makes some small incisions rather than larger incision in abdomen used during basic surgery process. Then surgeon inserts telescoping equipment into small, keyhole incision to remove kidney completely or to do partial nephrectomy. In this surgeon also use some robotic instrument to do operation.
- Partial nephrectomy: It is surgical removal of tumor. It preserves kidney process and lowers risk of developing chronic kidney problem after surgery. As per the study this is effective for T1 tumors whenever technically possible. In this smaller incision or cut are related to some side effect and speedier recovery.
Sometime this type of surgery is not possible due to characteristics of tumor or due to overall health. Then following kidney cancer treatment is use.
- Radiofrequency ablation: It is use needle inserted into tumor to destroy cancer with an electrical current. It is done by radiologist or urologist.
- Cryoablation: It is also known as crytherapy or crysurgery. In this cancer cells is freezing with a metal probe inserted by small incision. Metal probe is placed into cancerous tissue by using CT scan and ultrasound for guidance. It needs anesthesia for several hours.
Radiotherapy is Treatment option for kidney cancer, which use high energy beams of radiation that focused on cancerous tissue. It kills cancer cells and stops cancer cells from multiplying. Radiotherapy can be advised in addition to surgery that aims to kill cancerous cells which can remains after surgery an operation.
Side effect of this therapy are fatigue, mild skin reactions, upset stomach and loose bowel movements. Radiotherapy can also cause bleeding, infection and chances of injury to nearby tissue.
Chemotherapy is use drugs to destroy cancer cell, generally stop cancer cell’s ability to grow and divide. It is given by a medical oncologist, doctor who specializes to cure cancer with medication. Systemic chemotherapy gets into bloodstream to reach cancer cell by body. Common method to give chemotherapy contains intravenous (IV) tube put into a vein using needle or in pill or capsule which is swallowed.
Immunotherapy or biologic therapy
Immunotherapy is also known as biologic therapy. It is made to improve natural defences of body to fight cancer. Immunotherapy uses materials which made either or body or in a laboratory to boost, target or restore immune system process. Interleukin-2 (IL – 2) is medicine which was used to cure later stage cancer of kidney.
It is treatment which targets the cancer’s specific gens protein, or tissue environment which contributes to cancer growth and survival. In this treatment block the growth and spread of cancer cells while limiting damage to healthy growth cells. Below is some basic Kidney Cancer Treatment.
- Anti-angiogenesis therapy: In this treatment focus on to stop angiogenesis that is process of making new blood vessels. Due to tumor you required nutrients delivered through blood vessels to grow and spread, main aim of anti-angiogenesis therapies is to starve tumor.
- Tyrosine Kinase inhibitors (TKIs): kidney cancer cell has a mutation of VHL gene which causes cancer to make to create more protein, which called vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). VEGF control formation of new blood vessels. TKIs like Pazopanib (Votrient), Sorafenib (Nexavar) and Sunitinib (Sutent) can be used at the time of Kidney Cancer Treatment. Side effects of TKIs are diarrhea, high pressure of blood and tenderness and sensitivity in hand and feet.
- mTOR inhibitors: In this treatment Everolimus (Afinitor) and temsirolimus (Torisel) are medicine which are used target a certain protein which helps kidney cancer grow know as mTOR.
Thank you for visit careinfo.in and for reading Kidney Cancer treatment article. You can also read Prostate treatment options.